Tuesday, May 29, 2007

any other non-trads?

everyone sounds nice, i'm looking forward to a great 4 yrs. i'm also very excited about temple, a great program in a great city. my coordinates plot somewhat off the curve: non-trad, postbac, older (29), underrep in medicine, engaged, cali born and raised. out of curiosity, anyone else fall somewhere near that category or at least intersect one of my tangents? ha, nonetheless, we're all united in our passion and commitment to medicine and life. any soccer players out there? i'm trying to find out more about the temple team. socal folks, is anyone moving furniture (bed, desk, etc)? for convenience, i'm leaning towards starting fresh in philly but if someone else is moving stuff, maybe we can pool resources? norcal folks, i got love for u too. i was ucsc but lived in the bay for several years. i already secured an apartment at empirian towers, (btwn eastfalls and germantown i think) anyone know anything about it?
i can tell from what people have been writing that everyone will bring alot to this class, and once again i'm excited. just to be at this point shows alot of hardwork and character, so congrats to all. how are people spending their summers? looking for some good summer reading? atul gawande, harvard surgeon, compelling author. i've enjoyed reading what people are doing and what they're about. much more interesting than housing conversations. i look forward to hearing more and meeting in the fall....

8 comments:

C Williamson said...

ntamoria,

you and I have a lot in common! Non-trad (26, not 29 - but still a bit removed....), post-bacc, engaged, etc. I'm a local philly guy but my fiancee just moved back from LA last year. she was there 3 years and her sister still lives in Manhattan Beach. Definitely excited to start up school in August. Having this past semester off has been odd - I don't remember ever having so much free time. But I guess we won't have to worry about that any time in the near future.

Looking forward to meeting you soon.

Chris

Tamara said...

Although I'm at the other end of the spectrum (a baby in the class-only 20!) I just had to say that I'm currently reading Gawande's book for the third time...I want to be a surgeon and his stories just intrigue me!

Anything else you can recommend? I think this is the first time I've had time to read something other than academic assignments...

Scotty Lang said...

I'm a non-trad bost bacc as well. 26... Teacher, lived in China for 3 years, now I teach in Midtown Miami...
I find more passion in novels than in the cell structure and function...wait... that's not right.. Allow me to rephrase... I find more more passion, albeit artificial, at the bar and around the city, than I do in a science textbook...

Tamara, "pathologies of power" by Dr. Farmer is an awesome read if you're into medical anthro... and Gawande's "Complications" is just as good as "better" if you've only read one... Also, Mann's, Magic Mountain is a awesome look at the rediculousness of the the medical profession and the idea of sickness as a phsychological disorder instead of a biochemical one (if you like long-winded fiction)... Peace to my people.

-Scotty

Jason Andersen said...

hey ntamoria,

i'm interested in the soccer team as well! i played all through college for the harvard team and am interested in keeping it going at temple if possible. let me know if you find out anything about the options of playing. also, love gawande as well - read "complications" several years back and just read "better" last week. you may want to check out "how doctors think" by groopman, it's a great book (also a harvard doc who works just around the corner from where i currently work, which is childrens hospital boston). take it easy.

Jason

ntamoria said...

cool, good to hear i'm not alone on the postbac situation. i'm def ready to get started, this past year has been chill if not a bit mind-numbing. i just picked up farmer's book, gripping but dense, not as poetic as gawande, more social realism, good for international perspective. i was looking at groopman, and mann's book sounds interesting, it's fiction? i'm looking forward to meeting everyone in august

AndyNuke said...

I'm a postbacc as well. I'm 30. I've been working in film & television since graduating Columbia in 1999. I'm a huge fan of Gawande's New Yorker essays and COMPLICATIONS. A friend who's a big fan of Paul Farmer just recommended MOUNTAINS BEYOND MOUNTAINS by Tracy Kidder. It won the Pulitzer and chronicles Farmer's life and work.

ntamoria said...

Andy, you got me beat. I was getting ready to be the oldest one on here. I figure if there are any folks older than us, they may not be bloggers. Anyways, us non-trads/post-baccs should get together in aug for a drink. What u guys think?

Nick

Unknown said...

I am prob the gramps in the group, 34 yr old post-bacc. Philly native, former Regional Head of Below Knee Prosthetics, former broker, current Regional UW. Looking forward to meeting everyone and getting started.