Friday, May 18, 2007

Info. For A Small Town Guy

Hi, my name is Roberto (Bobby) Rojas. I went to John Brown University in Arkansas. I graduated with a major in biology/pre-med. I was just wondering if I could get some help answering some questions. I know nothing about big cities. I currently live in a city that I used to believe was big, Columbia, Missouri, (I'm sure no one has heard of it). It's about 80,000 people on a good day, so as most of you would guess, I am clueless about Philly and the East Coast in general. I got an apartment just off Rittenhouse Square, is the subway going to be the best way to get to school? Where do I get a subway pass, or whatever it is that I need? Do I need any special parking permit to park on the street? What internet would you recommend? I heard that Sprint has a good all-over network. Oh yeah, does Temple require a certain kind of computer? I know some other med. schools are really specific. Any recommendations on good restaurants? Sorry for the plethora of questions. I'm looking forward to the coming years, it'll be good. Thanks.

2 comments:

Pamela said...

hey! welcome to a big city! The subway will be your best option--you can pick up a monthly pass from any ticket office. Last time I checked, it was around $125/month. Depending on how often you plan to use the subway/regional rail, it may or may not be worth it. You don't need a parking permit but if you don't have one, parking will be a pain. Even if you do have a permit, unless you have a paid parking somewhere, you could end up driving around for awhile looking for a spot. Wait til you come here for restaurants. There's so many good ones to choose from, you'll have trouble deciding where you want to go eat. I forget what other questions you had, but I did my undergrad at Temple and have lived in/near the city my whole life. Talk to you soon.

Steph Flecksteiner said...

Hey Bobby,
i dunno if this comment is coming a little late....but this is my first time in a big city, and in my own apt, too. I called comcast to get high-speed internet and cable (1-800-comcast). I am losing my car and gonna ride the septa to school everyday. I am thinking I will just google septa and order a semester pass online. The girl I stayed with during the Temple second look had a septa semester pass, which seemed to be the most economical. I have an apt on 46th and Chester in University city, sounds like you are in Center City, which is much closer to Temple med campus. hope you get all your questions answered. my email is stephflecksteiner@gmail.com and my aim sn is saf254 if you have more questions...see you in august!